Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 7 Meridian MS to Chattanooga TN

Today was a little low key compared to yesterday. I didn't think yesterday could be topped.  Don't misunderstand me, today was a tremendous day but, come on, how do you surpass helicopters and cannon fire?

One highlight of today was stopping at the Tuscaloosa VA Hospital. They fed us a great lunch and then small groups of us were taken on tours. Some of us got on the elevator to go up to the fourth floor with Debra our guide. Apparently too many of us piled in because the elevator got stuck. Another first for me, I've never been stuck in an elevator before. We weren't stuck for long. Once we called and reported we were stuck up  someone came and let us out. Once everyone had a few breaths of fresh air we split into two groups and rode up in two separate elevators.

The VA Hospital is a multi-use facility with a hospice center, homeless center and  hospital. We were taken into the PTSD Center and the women's homeless shelter. Both centers were very nice.

Shirley the event registrar cut stars out of old flags for us to give to the veterans with a message of appreciation for their service. Next year I am going to bring pins, it seems they like to collect pins.





Stopped at the Piggily Wiggily for Gas and a snack and boy what a snack. We were served bar-b-que hot dogs, chips and soda. The hot dogs tasted so good!!!  Mr Pig was out shaking hands. I am from California, we don't have Piggly Wigglys. I was so excited to stop at a Pig market. I have only read about them. 



The leg into Chattanooga we were told was the most difficult of the whole trip due to traffic and a high sided lane. Well it proved to be true today. There were a couple of mishaps on that stretch of road. Remember the picture I posted of Kenny a few days ago? Well, it's a good thing I took that picture because his bike doesn't look like that anymore. He was rear ended, no injuries and he is still able to ride the bike. Another rider tipped his bike on the nasty curve. Again, no injuries probably just bruised egos. 

Dinner was hosted by the Thunder Creek Harley. Wow, they laid out a great spread, mashed potatoes, pork and gravy, shaved ice and sodas. In addition to the great food were a couple of cool displays.

I just loved the Harley Funeral Coach. Talk about going out in style!!! 


My other favorite was the Memorial Day display from the Gold Star Wives chapter of Chattanooga.  Gold Star Wives from World War II, cutest little ladies. 




Today"s Heroes: The ladies that made hundreds and hundreds of homemade muffins. The personal touches of kindness are amazing. 










Our riding buddy into Chattanooga.



Steve Engel my Memorial Wreath laying coach. Kept me from embarrassing myself by teaching me how to march and turn. THANK YOU!!! 

Finally, I have plans to put together a photo documentary of this Run for the Wall. There are 21 million veterans currently living in the United States. I sure would like everyone of them to see and know how much they are loved and appreciated by the American people. It should be completed and available for purchase by Christmas. Like our facebook page, "riding for the Wall" to receive notifications of the book's progress and when it's available. 

Until tomorrow...rain in the forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment