Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Check-In

Tip-of-the-day:  Forget about mascara for the next 10 days and carry a handkerchief. I was told this as I stood there crying. 

Shirley, a very kind efficient volunteer checked us in. When she was done placing our wristbands on and explaining the rules of the road she handed me a sticker and said, 
"this is why we ride" The sticker (pictured below) Is of a young man named Bowe who was captured in Afghanistan June 30, 2009. Shirley went on to tell us the terrorists bring him out and parade him around occasionally. 

My eyes welled up with tears. Imagine if this were your son. I would move heaven and earth for my child. I don't understand why something can't be done to help this young man who has been in captivity for nearly 5 years. Breaks my heart. I also don't understand why every tree in America does not have a yellow ribbon tied around it. What am I missing? 

Then I was given a plastic arm band with the name, Sgt Joseph A. Matejov, living casulaty, USAF 2-5-73 Laos. What the heck is a living casualty? Makes me sad for the loved ones that have no closure. 

Just a couple stories that we heard today. So I am leaving the mascara in the make-up bag and keeping my handkerchief close. 

Staging tomorrow at 5:45 am :( I am not a morning person, it's gonna be a challenge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment