Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 11 Arlington Cemetery & Vietnam Memorial

The mission was completed today. I am not sure how I feel. After 11 days of being focused on one thing, getting safely across the United States to arrive at the wall. It is a strange feeling not to have a schedule to keep or someone telling me when to eat, when to put gas in the bike, when to stop and drink. I can only imagine what it must be like after a six month deployment to come home and be on your own. I am struggling after an 11 day mission. I love our military personnel and the job they do.




After the group photo all 1,000 or so of us filed over to the wall. It was very emotional, many of the Vietnam Veterans cried, which is a good thing. Many, many items were left at the wall. 



I was surprised at some of the items left at the wall. Someone's motorcycle vest. I would love to know the story behind tis item being left on this day.

I was able to look up my friend's husband's name. I was very moved by her loss that happened years ago that I didn't know about for years. What great tragedies we suffer because of war. 


It was very moving to go to National with the Run for the Wall group. After spending the last eleven days together, learning the sacrifices and heartaches and physical wounds suffered by our road mates made it that much more emotional. 


As we met up to ride into Arlington the three routes of Run for the Wall staged together. This gave us the opportunity to meet individuals from other routes. I was staged next to two young Afghanistan Vets. I was so impressed by these two young men and felt an instant connection with them. We talked about their story but I did not get their names. I hope someday they read this and will contact me so I can send them some of the pictures I took. Great boys that have honorably served our country. I want to make sure the world treats them right. 


This young Veteran is riding a totally custom bike. The Jet Aviation company held a contest for a custom Harley. This young man's wife wrote to the company and told them about her husband, an Afghanistan Veteran whose unit suffered serious casualties and he suffered serious injury as well. He won the contest and had the bike detailed in honor of his KIA buddies. 


dog tags from the KIAs in his unit.


The picture of his unit is painted on the side of the bike. If you notice there are 13 pictured in the photo and 8 dog tags. Tragic percentages. 


The other veteran was super polite, friendly and disciplined. He waved at every person that waved at him. He saluted every veteran standing on the side of the road. He is post president of his American Legion Riders post in New Mexico. Usually that position is a gray haired guy that's been around a long time. Impressive responsibility for one so young.


Tomorrow we are going to Rolling Thunder. I am not excited! Staging begins at 6:00 AM but the rolling doesn't begin until noon. We sit in the Pentagon parking lot for six hours for a 15 minute ride around the mall. Okay, okay I am pessimistic and whining. I will try to remain open minded, perhaps it will be a great experience. 

I will write more about the ride and the logistics, bike and riders in the upcoming days and weeks. 

I want to investigate sponsorships for young Wounded Warriors. See what we can do to help our newest Combat Wounded. 

Please stay tuned for more and thanks for riding with us as we Run for the Wall. 







No comments:

Post a Comment