Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Day as a Tail Gunner

Southern Route had a great day today, 333 miles across the California and Arizona Desert. The platoons learned a few things along the way,  rubber banding, alligators, riding the zipper to name just a few.

I learned Tail Gunner is a harder job than I thought and for different reasons than I thought. I was assigned to the 4th Platoon with Old School as the Platoon Leader, Slacker as the Assistant Platoon Leader, Tex and Eyes (that's me) as the Tail Gunners.  Great group of guys to work with!!!! It didn't take Tex and I long to get in the groove of things at the back of the platoon. I'd ride with him any day!!! I also discovered I am the only girl in Platoon Leadership on the southern route. What's up with that?

Slacker is the tall one in the picture (the orange sleeve says, assistant platoon leader) Old School is the one with his back to us and the guy with the beard is Smoke, he is the road guard assigned to our platoon. He is the best!!!! The road guards help block traffic, keep the pack moving and guide us into the stops. Smoke is my buddy!!!!


This is a picture of  Stoney and Old School (holding the orange hat) Old School is telling the group about the last gas stop that was donated by Father Steve. Father Steve was a Run for For the Wall rider for many years. He came on the run incognito (wasn't wearing his collar) rode halfway and then came out of the bathroom with his collar in place. After that first year he rode as a Chaplain. Father Steve was diagnosed with cancer and passed away last year. One of his dying wishes was that Old School sell his motorcycle and with the proceeds pay for one gas stop this year on the Southern Route. Mind you, there are 285 bikes right now on  the Southern Route and it is approximately $10 a bike to gas up. Pretty nice gift to the riders from Father Steve. Thank you Father Steve!



And finally I will leave you with a little slice of our dinner entertainment. They sang for us last year too. So fun!!!!

Looking forward to tomorrow's adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment