Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day 9 - Missing Man Formation


During each leg of the Run for the Wall there is a missing man formation. The missing man formation is two motorcycles in tandem (#1 is the route coordinator, left  and #2 the state coordinator  right) then the rider selected to ride as the missing man and two more motorcycles in tandem (#5 missing man chaplain and #6 missing man coordinator).  FNG's are encouraged to apply to ride a missing man formation. Flame the missing man coordinator then assigns the riders to a leg. I missed it last year as an FNG but sent in a request this year.

About a month ago I received an email from Flame telling me I would ride the missing man formation on the 9th day, second leg. she said it's only a short leg but it's a very special one. I didn't think anything about it with all the preparations for the run, until yesterday. Then I looked at the schedule and saw that it was indeed a short run (15 miles) but it was very special. Flame gave me the special experience of riding in the lead pack to Montvale Elementary School.

We left the Exxon Gas Stop with numerous Virginia State Police riding out front with their blue lights a blaze. It was beautiful! Something you can't see from the middle of the pack which is where I am as a tail gunner for the 4th Platoon. Then the road guards ride out with their lights a blinking and then the lead pack. Because the lead pack sets the pace there is no need to keep your eyes fixed on the bike in front of you. It was so refreshing not to worry about staying close to the bike in front of you and worrying they would slam on their breaks.

As we came around the corner and up to the top of the hill, there was Montvale Elementary School with all the children out front dressed in red white and blue and waving American Flags. The tears welled at the beautiful display of patriotism before my eyes.  I get very emotional over children and flags for all kinds of reasons. Flame gave me a wonderful gift that she had no way of knowing ahead of time(maybe she did). I took some great video of the kids singing, I'll post them later updates.

The next generation of patriots are being raised in Montvale, Virginia.

From the Elementary School we left amidst much flag waving and cheering. We rode 13 miles to the National D-Day Memorial. As the majestic smokey mountains came into view, my breathe caught at the beauty of the lush, green valley. Definitely a view I would not have seen in the middle of the pack. The rode wound around for a few beautiful miles and once again we came up upon a small rise and laid out before us was the National D-Day Memorial Park. It was gorgeous. I wish I could find the words to describe it for you.  This was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Once again tears welled up in my eyes. We had to wind around quite a bit before we parked. What a treat to be in front of the pack to have such a panoramic view.

Once we parked I turned around to Flame and she was grinning at me. I got off my bike and went to give her a big hug. I gave her an inquisitive look, I did not understand how she could have known how meaningful both of those legs were to me. She just smiled and said, "when I saw on Facebook all of you posts about Remembrance Poppies, I knew this was the leg for you". Wow, was it ever!!! Thank you Flame, I will never forget today!!!  Maybe someday, I will share the what and why both of these legs were so meaningful to me. How Flame put it altogether is a mystery to me.


The National D-Day Memorial is one of the nicest memorials I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. I suggest if you ever go to visit, find a docent to show you around, they have so much information and insight to share. Definitely adds to the experience.


So day 9 has come to an end and there is just one more day left.  What a bittersweet time. I am glad I won't be riding 80 MPH in the pouring rain another day. Sad it is over and the friends/family I have met will be scattered around the country until next year when we all come together again. I have learned so much, felt so much and experienced so much.  I have so many people to thank but tomorrow is a super early day. The alarm is going to go off at 4:30 AM so it's lights out, until tomorrow.










No comments:

Post a Comment