Monday, April 6, 2015

Lessons Learned from 500 Miles in the Saddle

Practice = Improvement


The whole purpose of practicing is to improve. As I reflected on the 500 miles we rode this weekend I formulated the things I learned that will be most beneficial for me in May when we begin the Run For The Wall. 

1. Loose clothing is NOT good when riding at 75+ miles per hour with a 20 knot head wind. I opted to wear a very nice 2014, long sleeve Run for The Wall, Men's medium shirt that I purchased last year. I thought the thick cotton would be little warmer and the long sleeves would protect me from the sun. A men's shirt is baggy on me and that made me a less than pleasant experience as my shirt kept blowing up under my arm pits. So cruising along at 75+ I was constantly pulling my shirt down and tucking it under my butt or between my legs. Grrrrr, very annoying. Next Time: wear a women's fitted shirt. 

2. Handy Gadgets to have and use: Cruise control is 'da bomb!!! Oh my gosh, I fell in love with cruise control. I haven't taken the new bike on the open road to utilize the cruise control until this weekend. I see why Don insisted I get a bike with cruise control. 


Push to release gas tank cover: Oh my gosh, this little button is a dream. No more fumbling for the key after pulling into the gas stop. Just push the button and the cover pops open. One less thing to think about in the chaos of the gas stops. 

3:  Custom Parts are worth it: The custom seat and extra reach handle bars Don installed were an excellent choice. The bike fits perfectly. The seat was comfortable, after 250 miles I felt great. 

Next week's practice runs will involve the new CBs Don is installing. I will also be putting on the tour back (thanks for the suggestion General's Driver) to see how the bike handles fully loaded. 

If any veteran Run for the Wall riders have any preparation suggestions, please leave a comment.  A special thank you to my wonderful Jack of all trades, husband, Don for insisting on outfitting me with the best. Love you honey. 













No comments:

Post a Comment