Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 7 - Spyder in Chattanooga


I would like to introduce Spyder, my new Run for the Wall friend. Since day one, he has been kind, consider and shown me and the entire 4th Platoon kindness and encouragement. The staging team wanted to give him another Platoon's placard and he said, "No" this is my platoon. He is very patient with me when I am not sure where to park.

Let me explain, my bike has a tail gunner sticker on the front windshield but I have been riding as Assistant Platoon Leader and then today as Platoon Leader. Each job requires a slightly different parking place in the staging area. It's all about the order the bikes pull out. He has been very kind in getting me to the right place. Some of the staging crew or road guards just yell at you without hearing where you need to go. The more experienced leaders tell me to just go where I need to go and leave them yelling in the parking lot. It's not really my nature. Spyder has always been very patient with my every changing assignments.

Spyder is great guy, sadly today he got a flat tire on his bike. Hopefully the Chattanooga Harley Davidson will get it fixed tonight. Oh, did I mention the Harley shop stays open all night fixing the bikes in need of repair. GoldWing people don't you dare say a word!!!!

We stopped for lunch at the Tuscaloosa, AL Veteran's Hospital. Oh my, I anticipated seeing the old guys that live in the extended care facility. I did not expect to meet the young guys. I forgot my camera so I ran out to my bike to grab it and there walking in the parking lot was the head nurse for the hospital walking with a young men by the bikes. I took a closer look and realized he was a patient at the hospital. He was wearing a Marine Red shirt and plaid pajama bottoms. I stopped to talk to them. She told me his name, Fred and that he used to work on Harley's. I asked him if he rides bikes and what kind. All he could answer was Harley. I thought he might tell me the model but all he could manage to say was Harley. The nurse told me he was not yet 30 and that he suffered a dramatic brain injury in Afghanistan. Broke my heart to see a strong young man injured in such a way. I asked him which branch of service he was in and he told me he was a Marine. I ran to my bike to get him a Marine Corps sticker which I put on his shirt. I also gave him a Run for the Wall Pin and gave him a big hug. I hope I made a difference in that young man's day.

We proceed inside where we wondered around the hospital meeting veterans, talking with them and giving out pins and stickers. We met another young vet, Bob Tomlin, he also suffered a traumatic brain injury only in Iraq. Bob told us an IED the size of a school bus blew up in the vicinity of where he was.  He wanted to show us pictures that he posted to Facebook but there wasn't any cell service where we were standing in the hospital. I took down his name to friend him when I got service. I have searched his name on Facebook but he is not coming up. I am sad, I thought I had a new Facebook friend. He was a very nice young man. I hope he recovers enough to someday live on his own.

I was so nervous this morning when Old School told me I would be running as Platoon Leader. What the heck???? I barely figured out the tail gunner position.  Old School was very good in explaining the duties of the Platoon Leader as he leads the pack down the road. 1. Throttle up and down slowly to keep the platoon from rubber banding. 2. Maintain 1/8 of a mile between you and the 3rd platoon in front of you. 3. Before changing lanes make sure it is safe. 4. Pass back the appropriate hand signals.

Piece of cake! I enjoyed the job. I think because I had the fun part of the job without the responsibility. I was able to drive out in front of the Platoon for two legs today. approximately 200 miles. Our Assistant Platoon Leader was back for the last leg into Chattanooga. I was once again int he back of the pack.

I best get to bed, early day tomorrow. Excuse any typos or grammatical errors, I am too tired to read it over and tomorrow is a big day.


No comments:

Post a Comment